Evidence of seafaring tradition of this city is its lighthouse, commonly called the “Lantern” has always been the symbol of Genoa. 77 meters high, the tower stands on the ruins of a historic hill of 40 meters that is located about 177 meters above sea level.
Born to signal to ships entering the port but also to control its movement inside, the tower was built in the fourteenth century on the site as early as 1128 there existed a functioning lighthouse with a wood-burning system (bonfires). In 1326 it was installed the first oil lantern (olive) and in 1340 was painted on the bottom of the coat of arms tower. Its present appearance is the result of reconstruction work in the sixteenth century, and despite the interventions that followed the events of the war and lightning, the lantern looks like then: a tower with two slender volumes overlapped with a gallery at the top of each of them (the first terrace is accessible), a staircase of 720 steps, a lantern inside which are the lighting elements.
Attached to the tower is the Lantern Museum, a multimedia museum dedicated to the city and the province, reached by a walk of about 800 meters from the Ferry Terminal that runs along the old walls to the lighthouse.